Wednesday 5 October 2011

Dad never asked for favours: Anil Kapoor

He bid a final adieu to his father last week. While the rational side of Anil Kapoor knew that every man has to go through it in their lives, the son in him wants to hold on to the memories.

Talking to Mumbai Mirror, Anil says he was not informed about his father's death. He was just summoned to his elder brother's home.

Recounting the evening, he said, "I had just returned home from office. I was asked to come back since father was not well. Something told me we were going to lose him this time.

"Whenever Dad had health issues, I was around to take him to the nearest hospital. Five years back, the doctors gave in. Dad was put on a ventilator.

"Anand Bakshi's son had told me that rubbing my father's feet might help him to get off the ventilator. I followed it. Dad had come out of danger," the actor recalled an incident years back.

This time, however, he couldn't revive his father. "Boney and Sanjay had reached his bedside five minutes before me. Mum asked if I could wake him up. But he had already gone.

"All of us in the room just stood there. It was the end of the journey for a kind and honest human being. The entire film industry will vouch for this fact. The only consolation for us is that he didn't suffer. He went silently, like someone who has just left home for a walk and did not return.

"It was out of the pure instinct to gift him with a 'star' if I can call myself that. Quite a few of Dad's films had done well, Ek Shriman Ek Shrimati with Shashi Kapoor saab, Shehzada withRajesh Khanna saab and Ponga Pandit with Dabbooji (Randhir Kapoor). However, Phool Khile Hain Gulshan Gulshan wiped him out. Boney and I knew that we had support our parents. That's how Hum Paanch and Woh Saat Din happened. We made those films, knowing that Dad would be proud of us that he wouldn't have to chase anyone anymore.

"He was never sad after Hum Paanch. He was very proud of us producing films. He did not say this but I know he felt it. My sister Reena has been closer to mum. Boney and I were papa's boys. We had to make him rock again. I think we did," reflected the actor.

The brothers, Anil, Boney and Sanjay would share their parents. "When my house in Juhu became livable, Sunita and I were lucky to have my parents with us for three years. Sanjay and Maheep were with them in their Lokhandwala home till they got a home of their own. For the last two years, he was with Boney and Sri. I think my parents would have liked to stay with Reena too but she is settled in New Delhi. Dad was a pukka Mumbaikar. He'd like visiting other cities but Mumbai was where he belonged."

Anil was never really scolded by his father. Perhaps just once, he said. "I wanted to become a singer, I started lessons. He said, 'Beta, kyun time barbaad kar raha hai? People will sell their radios if they ever heard you sing'," said the actor. "Dad never asked for favours. So there was no question of him helping me to get roles. He led Boney and me to the water and we had to learn how to swim," recalled the actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment