Wednesday 22 June 2011

I'm ugly, so no chicks: Rahul Bose

So says Rahul Bose in a chat with TOI, as he talks about his work patterns, relationships and upcoming movies. Life is easy because he's single, he adds. 

Rahul Bose's latest film came and went without making much noise, but that hasn't ruffled the man at all, for, as he says, he has a hundred other things to do as well. Playing rugby, attending climate conferences, film festivals, and even, he admits unabashedly, ribbon cutting ceremonies. So, not acting wouldn't bother him at all, is it?

"Of course it would," he says promptly. "At the heart of everything I do is acting, is cinema. So everything else can fade away, but that is something that I will guard and respect and treasure the most in my life. From there, comes everything else. Nobody wants me to run the marathon, and nobody wants me to give a sound byte for World Environment Day and nobody wants me to attend the climate change conference in Copenhagen, if I wasn't an actor of some standing to begin with. If I wasn't acting, and doing everything else, I wouldn't be a happy person. Acting is the meat and potatoes of my life. Everything else is dessert. Acting is starters. My soul would wither away without this – acting and direction – I am putting both together," says Rahul.

And he's managing fine juggling everything. "I think because I am single, I have tremendous amount of time – which when shooting for " Kucch Luv Jaisa", I was looking at Shefali and realised she doesn't. She has to handle her two children who are in Madrid, her in-laws, her parents, household staff, and more. I have nothing – or nobody to look after. Also, my life is very simple. I live in a place that's just the size of a hotel room. And needs are also simple. Finally, I spend about – well, let's put it this way – this year, I would've shot for "Midnight's Children", for about 20 days, "Laptop" for about 20 days, I am shooting "Travelling With Mohammed" for 45 days, and "Jeene Do" for 45 days, and another film which I can't talk about, for 45 days. Say that a 150 days a year gone for films.

Then promos like this, one week for each film, so say another 30 days goes for four films – or three films. 180 days. Then says I do public appearances for things like World Environment Day, phalana dimka, or cut a ribbon for a sports ceremony or something like that, 30 days? That's 210 days. Then there's travelling, for my lecture circuits – I deliver lectures in schools, colleges and corporates. That's easily 30 days. That's 240. Then I go abroad. Film festivals, rugby internationals, or go for related work – work on cinema. In a year, easily I will travel about maybe 60 days. So that comes to how much – 330-340 days and then there's the sport – if there are rugby tournaments in Kolkata or Chennai, I take time off and go for that. Then I have a house in the mountains where I have to go and do stuff. I would say all in all, I would require about between 380-400 days a year."

So, he's planned that he'll remain single? "I think so. The older I get, the more I think so. Unless I become a unhappy, bitter, sad – and I'm getting there – 65-70 year old man, I guess it will be like this. Also, it will be a nightmare – living with me isn't easy, I think," he says. So then, how does he do those relationship films, the romance parts? "I am not celibate, and I have had four very big relationships in my life," he says, and before you ask who, he says with a very straight face, "My first relationship was five years, and now, she's in a lunatic asylum, I think, second was three years, and she's gone through seven marriages after me because she just lost her mind, the third relationship lasted three years again, and she attempted suicide, and the last one was for five years and she now is in Tihar for murder – that sums up 16 years of my life."
Yeah right.

We get the joke. "I'm not joking – okay, forget the state of being bits – but the 16 years bit is no joke. 5-3-3-5. Four relationships. But in the last 16 years, I have had no relationships. Let's see... Yeah, I started when I was 17, and 27 and now I am 44. So, yes, last 10 years I have been single. This is my 11th year of singlehood. So I am very familiar with love and relationships. I've lived in one house with one of my girlfriends for a year – so that's a lot of experience I can draw on – certainly. But..." But Rahul Bose wants no part in any of it anymore. "I am very open to having a relationship," he quickly clarifies, "except that I have no physical time to invest right now. If I were to meet someone very interesting, then I think maybe I should take her out for dinner, and I'll say okay, I can take her out on October 29, 2012."

So, that's the actor's bane then – the every ready answer of 'I don't have time for personal life' line.
"I've given all this intellectual jargon, but actually, I'm so ugly, there are no chicks. These last 10 years, the warning bells have sounded out, I now believe it. So I shall basically have to become very rich, I guess, then someone will marry me. I'll have to change my career then."

Talking of careers, and changes, how's the tussle with wanting to direct and act shaping up in him? "There's zero tussle and if at all, it's a happy tussle. I have discussed with Vipul Shah an idea which I will be developing as a script. Next year, I will definitely direct a film."

And what about "Midnight's Children"? "I am not allowed to talk about it at all. It's a Hindu-Muslim film. Om puri and I are acting in it, and Arun Asthana's the director..." Is he happy with the roles? "In the recent past, I have played a hoodlum, a rural Bengali boy, a posh IT executive who's gay... As far as roles go, I am extremely satisfied," says Rahul.

No comments:

Post a Comment