Friday 27 January 2012

I am not short tempered: Harbhajan Singh


You can take a person out of sports, but you cannot take sports out of a person," saidHarbhajan Singh, who will be seen hosting a wrestling-based reality show on the small screen - " Ring Ka King" - soon.
But why wrestling, of all things? "I used to watch kushti when I was young. Whenever my nana used to go abroad, he would ask me what I wanted him to get for me, and I would say I wanted a wrestling tape. Now that I've got a chance to know these wrestlers personally, I'm happy to grab it with both hands," Bhajji replied. What if he takes a cue from the huge wrestlers - known for their short fuses - and loses his cool on the set? "I never get angry. The media's projected me as an angry young man, which I'm not," he said, adding, "I hate stupid people who talk nonsense. I get angry with them. I'm not short tempered, yaar."
Harbhajan, contrary to his brash and emotional image on the field, will be seen as a guide and counselor on the show. "My role will be to boost the morale of our Indian wrestlers, give them some pep talk and make sure that the show goes smoothly. I'm going to follow Salman (Khan) and do what he did on "Bigg Boss" - do masti, while being both serious and humorous on the show," he explained. So, is he a fan of "Bigg Boss"? "I have seen the show, but I'll never be a contestant there. I won't be able to survive. The channel had invited me to be a part of the show this season, but I refused. But if they ask me to be the host, I'll definitely do it. I want to host "Bigg Boss" once," said the cricketer.
Right now, Bhajji says, he is happy hosting "Ring Ka King". While sharing his experience of meeting the wrestlers for the first time, Bhajji said, "They are tough, and way bigger than they appear on television. Pehli baar unko dekh ke toh I could just utter these words - 'arrey baap re baap!'" Will he be taking some body-building tips from them? "Body building nahin, par fitness tips zaroor loonga. In fact, I did ask them what all they eat and how they ensure minimum injuries while wrestling, because just like any other sport, in their field too, if you are bogged down by injuries, you are finished," said the spinner, who will soon undergo a three-week training at the National Cricket Academy.
Will we see him try a hand at wrestling too? "Arrey nahin, woh sab apne bas ka nahin. Mike pakad ke baat kar liya, aur public ke saath interact kar liya, bas, itna bahut hai, ring mein jaane ki aur fight karne ki meri koi iccha nahin hai," laughed Bhajji, adding, "But it's great to see that other sports are also finding an audience in India. Formula 1 was such a great success, and our players are also doing well in sports like tennis, badminton and hockey." What about cricket? A lot is being said about Team India's dismal performance in Australia. "I won't comment on the team, but I'll wish them luck. Since I wasn't there, I can't say what went wrong. But I can say one thing for sure, that I'm missing my place in the team a lot, and am looking forward to playing for my team again."
Well, is there anything else that he is looking forward to, like marriage to a certain actress? "Whose marriage?" Bhajji asked, and we said, his. "Really? Don't forget to invite me!" he signed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment