Friday 27 January 2012

Without big stars, one always struggles: Nagesh Kukunoor


Acclaimed filmmaker Nagesh Kukunoorunderstands the importance of casting popular actors in movies for box office success, but says he is not ready to compromise on his casting criteria just for that.

Most of Kukunoor's films -- "Hyderabad Blues", "Rockford", " Iqbal" and "Dor" -- have found critical acclaim, but didn't mint too much moolah. Could it be because he hasn't considered casting A-list actors?

"It (having big stars) does make a difference you want your film to be seen by the widest audience. No one controls this...If you don't have any of the 10 main actors, then you are always going to struggle to attract an audience. And that's the fight that I am not giving up on," Kukunoor told IANS.

He has worked with actors like Naseeruddin ShahShreyas TalpadeAyesha TakiaGul Panagand John Abraham. He is confident that until and unless his script demands a superstar, he doesn't need one.

"That's not the goal with what I started making out my films. That was not the idea. Only if the script demands, then I will (cast a star)," he said.

Kukunoor has always maintained a variety in his projects, but he doesn't mind repeating his actors.

"I do repeat my actors absolutely. If you have a nice actor, I don't see reason why you have to look out for another," he set the record straight.

However, the filmmaker is open to all and sundry.

Even after stating that he won't enter the romantic genre, he went ahead and made " Mod", starring Ayesha and Rannvijay Singh. And now he plans to make something completely different.

"In this industry, we say something and do something else. But it's a part of the game. I said I'll never make a love story, but I made one. But one thing I do is don't repeat is my story. Since I've made a love story, I will make something different now," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment