Saturday 30 July 2011

Deepika's a good sport

When Deepika Padukone decided to financially support sporting talent in the country, she was thinking of working as an individual. 

Little did she know that her father was thinking of doing the same thing, but on a much larger scale. Prakash Padukone and Geet Sethi have joined hands for Olympic Gold Quest, with which they're supporting sporting talent from across the country for the 2012 Olympics in London. And when Deepika, a director on the board of the organization, was in town to launch the initiative's website, she chatted with us about sports and more.

Sports I love: I follow badminton and since now I am on board, I also follow what our athletes do, which is boxing, shooting, athletics and some cricket, some Formula One

My association means: Hopefully, it'll creates awareness. I really do believe there's so much talent in the country, and there's always been a lack of resources and infrastructure to support it. With an organization like this and with the right kind of funding, we can support these athletes not just financially, but also physically, mentally and emotionally.

My athlete friends: I have just come on board, and this is the first time I am interacting with Mary (boxer MC Mary Kom) and Gagan (Narang, the shooter). I've met Mary once earlier. They are all shy and reserved people. I've known Saina (Nehwal) for a while because of my badminton days. But we are not in touch now.

support for sports: I always wanted to do something like this, in my own capacity, maybe send my own team to spot talent, and tell me that so and so is doing well and I can financially help them. This was till I spoke to my dad about this and he said that Geet and I are setting this up on a much larger scale, we'll have a board of directors... Then I said that it made sense for me to join hands with them and create awareness and support the cause. Even as a child, I knew what I wanted to do, so when I gave up badminton for films, I knew that when I become famous, I'd support the cause of sports. 

No comments:

Post a Comment