Friday 30 December 2011

YRF In Legal Tangle Over New York


Suchita Bhhatia, a new director making her way to the film industry blames Yash Raj Films banner for using her script in their recent flick New York without informing her. The director who is also a writer claims that it was the same story she narrated to YRF three years ago. But when she saw that her story is used in New York after three years, she broke her silence.
“I wrote to Aditya Chopra in August 2006 regarding two stories I had. He asked director Arjun Sablok to get in touch with me. He contacted me and we fixed up a meeting at the YRF studio. On September 1, I met Arjun and narrated two story ideas to him. He was extremely happy with the stories. I still remember him exclaiming ‘Wow!’ I kept writing to him, but there was no response and I gave up as I got busy with other work. To my surprise, after three years, I saw New York and was disheartened to know what they had done: using my story without even informing me, let alone give me any credit,” said the newbie.
She has also filed a complaint against Writer’s Association, to which she had registered the story in 2006. However director Sablok is not able to recollect the past as he said, “I have no recollection of such a meeting and I need more time before I can officially comment on the matter.”
Meanwhile, Kabir Khan the director of New York is also in angry state of mind, who said, “If this girl had written the script and if YRF had liked the story so much why wouldn’t they take it? And why would they pay and give credit to Sandeep Shrivastav for the same story instead? It’s ridiculous that people use a popular film to get cheap publicity and five minutes of fame. And the theatrical promos of New York were out since 2008 and they stated exactly what the film was all about so why is she raising her voice now?”

No comments:

Post a Comment