Tuesday 23 August 2011

Raju Hirani is Director No 1: Rohit Shetty

While any director in B-Town would give his right arm to get a hat-trick of hit films, Rohit Shetty has already delivered five back-to-back hits with Golmaal, Golmaal 2, Golmaal Returns, All The Best and now Singham. 

Two of his films have grossed over Rs 100 crores - a distinction few directors can boast of. Anybody else would've hosted a huge success bash to celebrate by now, but Rohit is quietly working on his next film instead. He talks to BT about being a workaholic and the secret behind his super success.

How would you react to being called the No 1 Director today? 
I would say, 'No thanks'. I think Raju Hirani is Director No 1.

But you're the only director to have five consecutive hits! 
I guess it's not sunk in. I've been working continuously. Barely has Singham released that I am already in Jaipur shooting for my next film. People are saying I've achieved a lot already, but I think it's better to keep on working and let your work speak for itself.

What's the secret behind your success? 
Firstly, the film has to be entertaining. Secondly, you should be fearless. If you are making a hardcore commercial film, go all out; don't try to balance it for the critics or a niche audience. I make films for the masses and multiplex audience. Lastly, I treat cinema like a product that I present to the customer (the audience).

You must now be offered huge money post Singham.... 
A big producer recently sent me a blank cheque. I returned it. I don't work like that.

What keeps you grounded? 
I haven't created a bubble where only few people have direct access to me. I talk to my spotboys as much as I talk to my actors. I hate it when people call a film "massy" and say it is only for rickshaw-walas and paanwalas. They are human beings, too, and constitute the majority of the single screen audience. No film will do business over Rs 100 crores if it doesn't do well in single screens. Films have to be made for pan-India and not only for the Marine Drive-to-Bandra stretch.

Apart from films, what gives you a high? 
To see pride and happiness on my mother's face. She is happy today because there's no stress or financial problems. There was a time we didn't have a house to live in or even Rs 100 in our pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment