Monday 29 August 2011

There is no comeback: Karisma

Someone meeting her after a long hiatus will probably not see much change in her - still very petite, slim, glowing with good health. 

That's Karisma Kapur, the 37-year-old, not seen in Bollywood films for the last five years. Lolo's been in the news for the past month or so - what with a much talked about 'comeback' in Vikram Bhatt's "Dangerous Ishq"... or is it going to be a reprisal of Hema Malini's role in " Satte Pe Satta"? There's also supposed to be that sizzling item number in "Housefull 2" that she's apparently doing. Whatever it is, Karisma is not going to talk about it.

She was recently seen at an event in Delhi after a long time even though the actress is married to a Delhiite. But all those questions of 'what's up' and 'what's she doing' will have to wait a while, as Karisma clearly indicated. Her answer, to the question about the movie and her comeback, "I can't really talk much about the movie - it is pre-production. But obviously, I'm doing it because there was something in it that made me want to do it. This is something that I have not done till today - even though I've been able to do a variety of roles. So this was something that I felt would take me and my acting to the next level. It deals with intrigue and past life regression - something mystical - a subject that has become greatly interesting to everyone today."

Any comeback jitters? "Pardon me, there is no such word as comeback in my dictionary. What is the meaning of comeback? Please tell me. Who has kids here? She looks up, searching in the bunch of those assembled for a raised hand, and finally spots one. Did you make a comeback when you got back to work after having babies and taking maternity leave?" There's a shake of the head. "Similarly, I would like to say for an actress, we are just like any other women out there - just as ordinary and as normal as everyone else. We can go on maternity leave, take a sabbatical and come back to work. There is no comeback. This term needs to be abolished from the lives of actresses."

And what about item numbers? Can she still beat 'em all when it comes to shaking a leg? Is she open to item numbers? "Well, obviously, if I have come back to work again," she begins, and pauses to think, but that moment is pushed back by another intruding question from the media, someone wants to know the secret of her 'looking so young'. "Eating a lot of almonds," she laughs, "It is something that has come down to us through generations. A sort of hand-me-down, that and surprisingly, having desi ghee as well," says Karisma.

And what about the audience perception of her? Her sister Kareena has taken sexy to a size-zero level and back, while she was bringing up kids. How is she going to compete with that? Without missing a beat, Karisma answers, "I'd like to say that this whole fitness thing kind of started in the film industry because of me - because of my role in "Dil Toh Pagal Hai". We had that very sporty look, that fit body, tight clothes, the whole Shiamak Davar dancing - it kind of came about - the transition happened from there. So, I am happy that my sister has taken it forward, taken it to another level."

No comments:

Post a Comment